Vegan Tahini Apple Pie
Vegan Tahini Apple Pie that everyone will love!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 3/4 tbs salt
- 2 tbs SoCo Tahini
- 1 cup solid coconut oil*
- 6–8 tablespoons ice water*
- 4 1/2 cups thinly sliced & peeled apples
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar (or organic can sugar)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 3 tbs unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Top with (optional):
- Unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbs sugar
- Prepare the crust: In a large bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, cane sugar, and salt until uniform. Cut in the coconut oil using a fork, and continue doing so until the mixture reaches a sand-like consistency.
- Add SoCo Tahini
- Add in the ice water, 2 tablespoons at a time, until the dough is moist enough to form a ball. We used about 8 tbs in total. Shape the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap*, and place it into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to set.
- In the meantime, mix everything together for the filling in a large bowl and then set it aside until the dough is ready.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. In the meantime, grease a pie pan and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces. Flour a clean work surface and roll out one half of the dough from the center to the edges, picking up and rotating the dough as you go. Be sure to keep work area and rolling pin floured to prevent sticking.
- Wrap dough around rolling pin and unwrap it into a greased pie pan (refer to video). Gently press the crust into the pan. This will form the bottom crust.
- Roll out the second half of the dough as you did with the first, but then using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut it into ½-1” strips. Create a lattice (woven pattern) on top of the pie by weaving the strips over the pie. Tuck in the edges of the strips and press them into the bottom crust. Crimp the edges as best you can to ensure that the crusts stick together.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the pie crust with a thin layer of almond milk. Sprinkle liberally with the turbinado sugar. Cover the rim of the pie with a pie ring or foil to ensure that the crust does not burn.
- Place into the oven for 50-70 minutes, or until golden brown, being sure to remove the pie ring after about 30 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool completely before serving, about 45-60 minutes. This will ensure that the filling thickens up and you do not have a runny pie.
- Serve :)