You’re probably wondering what in the world this bizarrely-named creation is. It's a combination of baba ganoush (an eggplant-based, smoky-flavored, middle-eastern dip) and hummus. It has the best qualities of both and is about to become your new favorite dip, spread, condiment, AND salad topping.
Serves- 6-10 people
Prep time – 1h
Paleo | Vegan | Kosher
Ingredients For the Babagahummus
- Eggplant, Medium-sized
- olive oil Generous drizzle
- Sea salt, sprinkle
- One 15-oz can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 0.5 Cup SoCo Artisanal tahini
- Juice of a lemon
- 0.5 tsp sumac. This is a delicious lemony spice! If you don’t have it, add the zest of a lemon instead.
- 0.5 tsp paprika
- 0.5 tsp cumin.
- 0.25 tsp sea salt
- Splash of olive oil or water as needed
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Handful of pine nuts
- Sprinkle of sumac or paprika
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and set it cut-side up on a sheet tray. Give the two cut sides a very generous drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of sea salt.
- Broil the eggplant in the oven at high temperature until charred. Keep a very close eye on it! You'll likely need to rotate it in order to broil the eggplant evenly. It will take about ten minutes total.
- Let the eggplant cool down until you can handle it. Then, scoop out the insides of the eggplant with a spoon. You want all the soft, white inner material and the charred surface, but NOT the skin.
- To a food processor, add the charred eggplant innards, chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, spices, and salt. Process until you have a smooth, rich texture; it will take a few minutes in a high-power food processor. If needed, add a splash of olive oil or water to help bring it together.
- Put the babagahummus into a serving dish. If desired, make a swirl and garnish it as you like. Serve with all sorts of fun items for dipping!
This recipe is from Lee of The Rogue Brussel Sprout blog. Lee is a recipe developer, food blogger, and food photographer who loves colorful, fresh, plant-filled dishes. You can see more of her work on her Instagram (@TheRogueBrusselSprout) and blog (www.TheRogueBrusselSprout.com)