We decided to bake up a batch of these cute Spider cookies for the ultimate spooky sweet treat. This is a NUT FREE version, combining soft Tahini Cookie topped with Chocolate truffles then decorated with spidery legs and eyes. YUMMM.
Spider Cookie Ingredients
1 cup of SoCo Tahini
1 cup cane sugar
¾ cup butter (1.5 sticks)
2.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
Semisweet chocolate chips – to pipe spider legs
Candy eyes – find in most grocery stores in the baking section
Chocolate truffles – We used the Lindt truffles. You can use ant type of round truffle.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, spray with oil, and set aside.
- Place the softened butter and Tahini in the mixer and beat until fluffy. Then add sugar and beat again until fluffy. Scrape the bowl and beat in the vanilla
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda. Turn the mixer on low to slowly incorporate the flour mixture.
- Flatten on cookie sheet, cut into 1*1 inch squares.
- Separate cookies from one another and form into a round shape
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Quickly use a pestle to press a cavity in the middle of each cookie. Then place back in the oven and bake another 10-15 minutes, until golden.
- Meanwhile, unwrap all the chocolate truffles. Once the cookies are out of the oven, cool until almost at room temperature (but not very warm) and place a truffle in the cavity of each cookie. If the cookies are too warm, the truffle will melt. If the cookies are cool, the truffle won't stick. (You can also wait until the cookies are completely cool, then glue the truffles in with chocolate to be safe.)
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Scoop the melted chocolate in a zip bag. Close the bag and snip off a small portion of one corner to create a hole. Pipe 8 legs on each cookie, starting from the truffle body down.
- Then use the remaining melted chocolate to glue 2 eyes onto each truffle spider. Cool until the chocolate is firm and serve.