VEGAN TAHINI MAPLE INFUSED DOUGHNUTS
When Yael (@yayas_desserts), our super talented pastry chef friend, decided to create a vegan tahini maple infused doughnut recipe we jumped up and down with joy! These come out so good we promise you they are worth the work. Happy doughnut holiday everyone :)
- 1 Tbsp dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm almond milk
- 4.5 cups AP flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 oz canola oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp brandy (it evaporates while frying, for a lighter less oily doughnut. You can choose to not add this but it is recommended)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Cup maple syrup
- 1 Cup SoCo Artisanal Tahini
For the dough
For the cream
- Prep the dough
- In a mixing bowl place the yeast and warm almond milk. Make sure the milk is not too hot, should be slightly over room temperature.
- Let yeast develop for 10 minutes
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Mix for about 10 minutes (don’t cut this time short it’s important for the gluten to develop)
- Measure out on a scale 0.15lb balls or if working without a scale- divide into 17 little balls
- Cut 17 little squares of parchment paper
- Roll each ball tucking the bottom ends together (so they stay closed while we fry them)
- Place each dough ball on a parchment paper square with bottom part facing down
- Cover with a clean towel and set to rise for about an hour until they are double the size
For the next steps Yael recommends using a cooking thermometer. Frying doughnuts is all about the right heat.
- Heat canola oil in a deep frying pan until it reaches 320F. If you do not own a cooking thermometer use a spoon, place the tip in the lane once the oil is hot. If you see little bubbles evolving that means the oil is hot enough. Work on low to medium heat. Make sure the oil is not too deep. Oil should be about half the hight of the doughnut.
- Place doughnuts with the parchment paper in the hot oil. The parchment paper will separate I promise. Place about three doughnuts at a time (depending on the size of your pan) it’s important to leave them room to puff up while frying.
- Fry for about 2 minutes until golden then flip and fry the other side for exactly the same time.
- Carefully take out of the pan using a strainer spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the extra oil
- Cool down for a few minutes and then roll in granulated sugar (you don’t have to but it’s sooo good)
Make the filling
- Place ingredients into a bowl
- Mix together until they are fully combined
- Place in a piping bag with a small round tip
Fill the doughnuts
- Use the piping tip to create a hole on the top of the doughnut
- Placing the piping tip inside the hole, squeeze filling into the doughnut carefully
- Make sure to stop in between to make sure it’s not coming out from the top 😉 that means it’s completely full